How to Measure for Curtains7th August 2019
To be sure of the best possible fit, take the time to measure your windows carefully. We suggest using a metal tape measure for accuracy.
The first step is to decide whether you want your curtains to hang from a track or a pole. Whichever option you choose they should be positioned 15cms (6 inches) above the window and extend 15-20cms (6-8 inches) either side.
Fit your track or pole before taking your measurements.
- Measure the width of your pole between the finials, or the whole length of your track.
- For an eyelet heading, measure from the top of the pole. (Please also make a note of the pole diameter.)
- For all other headings, measure from the eye on the pole ring. If you have a track, measure from the top of the track.
Before measuring the length, decide whether you want your curtains to fall to the sill, below the sill or to the floor. We suggest that:
- Sill length curtains finish 0.5cm above the sill.
- Curtains that fall below the sill to finish 10-15cms (4-6 inches) below.
- Floor length curtains finished to touch the floor. (Another option is to have them puddle or sitting 1cm off the floor).
Measuring for Pelmets
Unless you have a specific requirement for the depth of your pelmet, we will make them to the standard depth dictated by your curtain drop.
Made to Measure Curtains
With thousands of designer fabrics to choose from, we create unique and beautiful made to order pieces for your home. All our made to measure items are handmade by our experienced design team here in Sussex. They use traditional sewing techniques producing long-lasting pieces with a high-quality finish.
Having chosen your perfect curtain fabric, with our help you are able to create something truly unique and control every element of the design. Whether you are looking for extra long curtains or curtains for a bay window, you can have perfectly fitting, custom made curtains in the fabric, style and finish you want.